Rogers Hometown Hockey Coming to Cowtown;
Hits Calgary March 19 & 20
- NHL alumni Lanny McDonald and Sheldon Kennedy to join weekend festivities, along with Olympic gold medallists Cassie Campbell-Pascall and Hayley Irwin –
- Special musical performance on Sunday by 22-time CCMA Award winner Gord Bamford -
- Local hockey teams have a chance to win ultimate hockey experience with Rogers Cheer Like Never Before contest -
Interview opportunities available
TORONTO (February 24, 2016) Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour presented by Scotiabank and Dodge is making its way to “The Stampede City” for an unforgettable weekend celebration of hockey on March 19 & 20. The ultimate hockey festival will feature appearances by Flames alumni Lanny McDonald and Sheldon Kennedy, as well as Olympic Gold medallists Cassie Campbell-Pascall and Hayley Irwin, all alongside Canadian icon Ron MacLean.
In addition to hockey stars, 22-time CCMA Award winner and multi-time JUNO Award nominee Gord Bamford will make a special appearance on Sunday, March 20, performing songs from his latest album Tin Roof, available April 8.
The two-day hockey celebration gets underway Saturday, March 19 at Noon MT from Olympic Plaza in the heart of downtown Calgary, and concludes Sunday evening following the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party. The game features the Calgary Flames vs. the Montreal Canadiens, with a special pre-game show hosted live on site by Ron MacLean from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio beginning at 4:30 p.m. MT on Sportsnet, alongside co-host Tara Slone.
The free hockey-themed weekend will feature games, activities, live local entertainment and food trucks for the whole family, including:
· Rogers Share Everything Zone: Fans can engage in unique interactive experiences, including virtual autographs with NHL players
· Scotiabank Community Locker Room: Featuring meet and greets with NHL Alumni, interactive games and a Scotia Hockey Club commemorative jersey giveaway for youth 16 and under
· The Dodge Stow ‘n’ Go Challenge as well as a chance to win a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan and $5,000 for a local minor hockey association
Samsung’s The Situation Room: Fans can test their skills against a series of hockey plays, just like NHL officials in this interactive studio
· Sportsnet Be a Broadcaster: Call an NHL game highlight reel alongside Sportsnet Central anchor Evanka Osmak
· PlayStation: Fans can try some of the latest PlayStation®4 games from family fun to sports gaming favourites, only in the PlayStation gaming zone
· McDonald’s® Ball Hockey Rink: Including pick-up games and hockey skills competitions, personalized hockey cards, as well as free McCafé® brewed coffee on site
· OK Tire: Fans can push the limits of how fast they can get to hockey practice with remote controlled cars in the extreme OK Tire Race
· Dr. Oetker’s Mobile Pizzeria: Fans can enjoy a free slice of Giuseppe Pizzeria pizza served fresh right out of the oven
· The Lodge: A cozy place to enjoy a free hot chocolate inside a warming lounge, complete Adirondack chairs with built in Texture by Next Issue and more
Rogers Hometown Hockey: Event and Broadcast Details
*Full event schedule and broadcast details to be released in coming weeks
Location: Olympic Plaza - 228 8 Ave SE, Calgary, AB
Saturday, March 19 – Festival open from Noon to 6 p.m. MT
Sunday, March 20 – Festival opens at 11 a.m. MT and runs through end of Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party
· Calgary Flames vs. Montreal Canadiens, 4:30 p.m. MT (Sportsnet)
Rogers Cheer Like Never Before Contest
Leading up to the celebrations in Calgary, local hockey teams have an opportunity to win the ultimate hockey experience as part of the Cheer Like Never Before contest.
Teams can upload a video of their team cheer, with the Top 5 vote-getters invited to take part in the festivities when the Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour visits Calgary on March 19 & 20. The winning team in each town will then be in the running to win the trip of a lifetime, including: a trip to an NHL game, VIP Game Day Experience, and perform their team cheer in an NHL dressing room. For full contest details visit www.hometownhockey.com
The Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour presented by Scotiabank and Dodge will roll into 24 communities across Canada this season with a weekend of free outdoor hockey festivities for all ages, culminating in an outdoor viewing party of an NHL game broadcast every Sunday on Sportsnet, with Ron MacLean hosting live on site from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio. Following Calgary, the tour will visit Prince Albert, SK on March 26 & 27, 2016 for the 23rd of 24 stops. For more tour information visit www.hometownhockey.com
Social Media Links
Official website, Rogers Hometown Hockey www.hometownhockey.com
Twitter @HometownHockey_ #HometownHockey
Rogers Communications is a leading diversified public Canadian communications and media company. We are Canada's largest provider of wireless communications services and one of Canada's leading providers of cable television, high-speed Internet and telephony services to consumers and businesses. Through Rogers Media, we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, televised shopping, magazines and trade publications, sports entertainment, and digital media. We are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI). For further information about the Rogers group of companies, please visit rogers.com.
Sebastian Gatica, firstname.lastname@example.org,(w) 416.764.6368, (m) 416.710.9953